Monday, February 18, 2013

The Washington Palm

For a species of palm 'tis a very tall tree
On looking at it that's how it does seem to me
So skinny and tall with about twenty fronds at the top
When it's time comes to fall to the ground quite a drop.

Compared to the other stockier palm trees it seems very tall
The first Washington Palm I have ever seen I'll recall
Today in a park in a town by the sea
For as long as I have the gift of memory.

A long way from the desert mountain valleys of Mexico it's Land of ancestry
A very rare one in this Southern Country
To grow fast and very tall is it's claim to fame
Washingtonia Robusta is it's Latin name.

A little about them in books I have read
Many of them fall victims of lightning strikes 'tis said
The longest lived palm tree a century span
And the tallest perhaps the Washington Palm alias the Mexican Fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment