Friday, September 23, 2011

On Hearing That Matt Duggan's Son Chris Had Died

I know Matt Duggan but I never knew Chris his son
And a friendship missed is a friendship never won
And how can I grieve for one I never knew
Though I feel for Matt for what he must go through.

I feel for Matt in this his time of loss
Once more he's burdened with a heavy cross
His son is now in heaven some might say
Try tell that to Matt Duggan anyway.

I knew Chris's mother Janice Matt's first wife
And she too died young though she led a happy life
Her passing left him with a heavy heart
For months he grieved his world just came apart.

For months he grieved but he rebuilt his life
And he found new love and he found another wife
But once more death's shadow darkened his door
And he must grieve now as he grieved before.

And he must weep to wash the grief away
Or else the hurt within his heart will stay
Those dam wells of his heart have got to break
To ease his sense of grief and loss and ache.

I might have offered him my sympathy
But he would need much more 'twould seem to me
Than words to compensate him for his loss
And ease the heavy burden of his cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment