Monday, September 26, 2011

Charlie Callaghan

He lived by the Killarney Road a few miles from Rathmore
And he was one that I had known since I was three or four
A character he was of sorts and though from life long gone
In the hearts of those who knew him well Charlie is living on.

He drove trucks for Jacksy Lucey in the distant long ago
And he never broke a speed limit he always drove quite slow
But Charlie did a good job and he worked hard for his pay
And those who still remember him will tell you so today.

A slightly built though hardy type he wasn't very tall
But he was quite strong for his weight as I can well recall
I once saw him lift a ten stone sack unto his back from the ground
Quite an amazing feat of strength with none to help around.

With none to witness his feat save me a seven year old boy
And when I told others what I'd seen him do they said how come you lie?
How can a nine stone man lift a ten stone sack something most twice his weight can't do?
They would not believe how one small man could lift a weight heavy for two.

He drove trucks for a living often for twelve hours a day
And Charlie Callaghan was one who worked hard for every pay
And I'll recall for as long as I live how he raised a ten stone sack
Without assistance from the ground and placed it on his back

No comments:

Post a Comment