Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Most Important Thing Of All

Out of scribbling verses I've never made a penny
There's surely easier roads to wealth and fame
A waste of time and energy and money
It really is a 'hungry belly game'.

But penning doggerels always keeps me happy
Although my rhymes are not seen as much good
I am a migrant with the broadest accent
And what I say not always understood.

I do not see myself as an advantage
To this land of the marsupial and gum tree
And though I love this big and scenic country
Australia could do nicely without me.

Yet I am one who adores Mother Nature
And her great beauty I can appreciate
She has the power of life and death in her four seasons
The power to wither and to re-create.

And Australia has such splendid natural beauty
From Cape York to Tasmania on the Tasman sea
A vast and scenic land of many hues and colours
And open spaces and so much to see.

Out of penning verse I've never made a penny
And though I know my name the literary critics won't recall
Just making up rhymes seems to keep me happy
And that's the most important thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment