Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Have Never Been To County Clare

I've been in New York and I've been to New Jersey
And I've been to London and Trafalgar Square
And I've seen some of Wales and my own homeland Ireland
But I have never been to County Clare.

I spent a few weeks travelling in New Zealand
And I still recall the beauty I saw there
But perhaps I should have seen more of my homeland
And perhaps I should have been to county Clare.

John Mahony and Paddy Mick two Millstreet fellows
Once told me of Clare and it's scenery
And they told me of it's kind and friendly people
'I should have seen more of my own country'.

I've travelled in Victoria in Australia
From Nhill to Gippsland, Pakenham and Bales
And I've seen the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast of Queensland
And I've travelled from south to northern New South Wales.

I've been to Tasmania and south Australia
The hills near Adelaide are brown and bare
The ancient Coorong and it's coastal beauty
And yet I've never been to County Clare.

I've not seen much when compared to some people
To the great travellers I could not compare
Some people who were born far from Ireland
Have travelled the length and breadth of County Clare.

I should have seen more of my homeland Ireland
I've done most of my travelling elsewhere
I've never been to Connacht and to Ulster
And I've never even been to County Clare.

No comments:

Post a Comment