Friday, January 25, 2013

If Penning Of Doggerel Was A Crime

If penning of doggerel was a crime
I would be serving prison time
And the more judgemental of me might say
We told you so crime doesn't pay.

I've written reams of rhyming stuff
In reference to slang a literary duff
My rhymes around the edges rough
My best is hardly good enough.

For literary success at least I did try
And I will not die wondering why
At penning of good rhyme I did not succeed
Since I tried my best I did indeed.

Not everyone can be a poet
Or even one of literary note
Few so few pass the good poet test
Yet one can only try their best.

Since the less kind call it doggerel
My sort of stuff nowadays don't sell
It is out of fashion nowadays rhyme
And it has been for quite some time.

My better days in life long gone
But true to myself I just rhyme on
And since to you I will not lie
As a poetaster I will die.

No comments:

Post a Comment