Thursday, January 24, 2013

Yellow Rumped Thornbills

Searching for insects on the ground them I often do see
Such tiny birds their eggs small as a pea
With yellow on their rumps of lightish fawn to gray
I see them often though not every day.

Not that much bigger than a butterfly
Yellow rumped thornbills the name they are known by
They live in small flocks and feed on the ground
And they look so tiny as they hop around.

So vulnerable in their defenceless way
To kookaburras, hawks and magpies they sometimes fall prey
Yet every Spring their numbers multiply
And the tag of Nature's survivors to them does apply.

As they do fly the yellow on their rumps does show
But of them little I can claim to know
If I said how long they live I would be telling a lie
Only know that they do quickly age and die.

No comments:

Post a Comment