Wednesday, June 20, 2012

On The Last Time I saw Caherbarnagh

On the last time I saw Caherbarnagh the weather was windy and cold
In the early days of December and the old year was getting quite old
Dark clouds hung above Gortavehy it looked like more rain on the way
And frost overnight on the high ground had left the old fields looking gray.

The last time I saw Caherbarnagh it was a cold wintery day
And in the galvanize shed in the farmyard the cattle were bellowing for hay
The stream from the foot of the mountain bank high by the bogland did flow
On the last time I saw Caherbarnagh now almost two decades ago.

The old hill known as Caherbarnagh doesn't change with the passing of time
He has been around and will be forever and he will outlive the poet's rhyme
With beard of bracken a natural old Monarch he proudly stands on the high ground
Overlooking Duhallow and Sliabh Luachra and the Countryside for miles around.

On the last time I saw Caherbarnagh the cold winds of Winter did blow
On a bleak day in early December it did seem cold enough for to snow
And time has left me looking older and further south and much further away
From the countryside by the Boggeragh mountains where I lived for many a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment