Friday, December 21, 2012

That Many Their Own Praises

I do not wish to control people I've never hit my wife
And i too have my struggles my struggles in life
But like the pope or the monarch i breathe the same air
And 'tis true hope can be found at the pit of despair.

I did not ask you to tell me of how marvelous you are
Of your recent job promotion and of your brand new car
And your two weeks holiday in a resort by the sea
With your beautiful wife and your young family.

I feel glad to hear that for yourself you've done well
But for a commentary of your achievements i did not ask you to tell
Me of since i do not have success stories of my own to relate
But then suppose those who work hard at it their own success do create.

And i am not one to begrudge you your success
If in your life it brings you some happiness
Yet in an age of self promotion it does seem a sad thing
That many their own praises feel compelled to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment