Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fond Memories Of Birdsland

I hear the bellbirds in the wood on the hill
And magpie he opened his silvery bill
And he fluted his wild and his beautiful air
As a Nature songster few with him to compare.

To his own kind proclaiming his territory
Grey butcherbird pipes on an old blackwood tree
There is no mistaking his bubbling song
Once heard the voice's owner you cannot get wrong.

The soft pipings of the rosellas so pleasant to hear
And the raucous calls of the kookaburra echo loud and clear
In the calm morning air in Birdsland today
A place from my thoughts never too far away.

The loud quacks of the female the softer tones of the drake
Of the black duck that live in Birdsland's brown lake.
Fond memories will stay with me until I die
Of our walks around the lake old Jedder and I.

From Birdsland and from where I now live far away
The bones of Jedder my black and white female dog lay
A walk around the lake and chase stick or ball
'Twas easy to please her as I can recall.

Fond memories of Birdsland with me does remain
And in fancy I visit the old place again
By the creek the harsh squawks of the white cockatoos on the tall gum trees
Come wafting to me in the freshening breeze.

1 comment: