Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rhyme Of A Rustic Fellow

I show the gray time only bring though the years have made me mellow
Still the leopard never change his spots I'm still a rustic fellow
I come from land of bracken hills and small fields fringed by hedges
And I am still a country man and rough around the edges.

The man may leave the mountain but the mountain seem to follow
And my accent still a give away it comes from old Duhallow
It came with me from Claraghatlea a Townland of natural beauty
And I still glorify that place as if it were my duty.

I live in the big sunlit land the home of wombats, roos and lories
And I've heard the gray haired blackfellow relate the dreamtime stories
Of how magpie got his black and white and why koala the leaf eater
Only eat the leaves of manna gum though most other leaves taste sweeter.

The countryman may leave the fields, the mountain and the wildwood
And live in city far away from the place of his childhood
But a country fellow he'll remain till the grim reaper take him
And that accent that he brought with him it never will forsake him.

The years have left me looking gray and the years have made me mellow
And though I live far from Boggeragh hills I'm still a rustic fellow
And a rustic fellow I'll remain and rough around the edges
For I come from the bracken hills and small fields fringed by hedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment