Sunday, August 28, 2011

He Was Hero Of My Childhood

He was hero of my childhood in the distant long ago
When I was a young schoolgoer forty five years back or so,
He cut timber for a living in the rain and hail and snow
And weather seemed to make no difference to the mighty Willie Joe.

He was not a very tall man five foot seven maybe eight
But he had determination if he lacked the height and weight
A very wiry fellow and to look at him you'd say
'There's one to hold his own with any and not give one inch away'.

Oft times stood and watched him working in the State owned forestry
And still can picture saw dust flying as his saw cut through the tree
Still can hear his chainsaw roaring, hear the timber crack and fall
He could knock and pare a big tree near fast as one could bounce a ball.

Those who knock trees for a living never scale the heights of fame
But to me that man was special Willie Joe was a big name,
I admired him as a saw man he earned his living honestly
And I never did forget him he lives in my memory.

True enough he was great work man and a top class lumberjack
But he had more to offer than strong arms or strong back
He was kind and understanding loved his family and wife
And he'd help you out if he could and he lived the moral life.

He was in his forty ninth year when his end came suddenly
Whilst knocking heavy spruce trees in the State owned forestry
On a morning in mid april, a rainy and windy day,
A big tree knocked and crushed him as it came down the wrong way.

He was hero of my childhood in the distant bygone day
And I still have memories of him and good memories don't fade away,
He cut timber for a living in the frost and rain and snow
And he's now in land of leisure ex lumberjack Willie Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment