Thursday, August 30, 2012

On Hearing A Greenfinch

I know the singer of the song though him I cannot see
His voice I knew in my younger years lives in my memory
The green he wears it blends in well with the foilage of the blackwood tree
Where he sing in the sun and wind in the warmth of January.

The beauty born of Nature for us all to enjoy
In the green groves of Duhallow when I was a school going boy
Amongst the lush green foilage his nesting kin did chirp and sing
The distinctive song of the greenfinch a familiar voice of the Spring.

The years on me are creeping up I have known a better day
And that we are only born to live and breed and die does that seem fair to say
And though many with those sentiments may strongly disagree
We too are part of Nature that's how 'twould seem to me.

The songs of the birds we heard sing in our younger years in our memories do remain
And sight unseen we know them by their voices when we hear them again
The greenfinch I hear sing today his song to him was passed down
Through his ancestors D N A from the groves beside the town.

At the distinctive song of the greenfinch old memories awake
That voice I first heard as a young boy I never could mistake
It stirs up memories of the northern Spring and the the leafy woods of May
And it has followed me across the World from places far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment