Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Best Friend John And I 'For Eoin Murphy'

We grew up together my best friend John and I
His dad brought him to be raised by my mum his sister as a young boy
Before he sailed forth for the U.S.A.
Beyond the sea and many miles away.

I never called him uncle I recall
As he seemed more like a brother to us all
He was my friend for over seventy years
And the good memories outlive the parting tears.

At our school lunch break we oft raced up the hill
To touch the sails upon the old windmill
And back down again just as the school bell rung
Those were the happy days when we were young.

Of all the friends I knew my dearest friend of all
He stood by me in the church at Montreal
At my first marriage 'she died tragically'
And through these times my friend John stood by me.

I was there the day he changed his course in life
On the day he took Mary for his wife
And I was there to whisper him a last goodbye
My true and dear friend since I was a boy.

His hands were cold we'd never meet again
As I whispered goodbye in the New York rain
And though there is heartache in those last goodbyes
It's still not very hard to visualize.

And John and I again race up the hill
To touch the sails upon the old windmill
The wind blowing in our faces ruffled our hair
Such happy times together we did share.

We affirmed our religious vows in what we then believed
Our first communion and confirmation together we received
Went to college and lived in the U.S.A.
From Skerries almost half a World away.

A cherished member of our family
My uncle John lives in my memory
Though I never called him uncle I recall
He seemed more like a brother to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment