Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Farewell Barby

You feel so happy when you meet an old friend
You clasp their hand and hug them in your joy
But I have felt such sadness in each parting
It pains me so to have to say goodbye.

It was to be our final get together
And the snags were sizzling on the barbecue
And the sun shone warm though thunder showers were forecast
And I could have done with a beer or two.

The farwell barby and Dean had a toothache
He sat and watched on whilst the others eat
I pity him and all the others like him
Who suffer from the pangs of aching feet.

Colin, Morris, Rob and their mate his name now slip me
All decent men their like are good to know
And Peter brash and arrogant young Peter
Stopped by to eat a snag and say hello.

Darren,Chris and Brett were pondering on their future
Where to next and where do we go from here?
Through 96 it was an uphill battle
But things may become better in new year.

And Warren sat there quiet as he is always
Perhaps he is too quiet for his own good
He doesn't seem to have mates like some others
Though I feel that he is misunderstood.

But Helen is the one I'll best remember
The tears from flowing she struggled to repel
So sensitive and full of warmth and feeling
She hugged us all a last and fond farewell.

The handshakes and the final farewell wishes
May you be happy in the days ahead
And then we went our separate ways forever
When all the words of parting had been said.

You feel so happy when you meet an old friend
You clasp their hand or hug them in your joy
But I have felt such sadness in each parting
It pains me so to have to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment