Friday, March 29, 2013

An Unsuccessful Fellow

An unsuccesful fellow I've written reams of bad rhyme
And I would be in prison if penning doggerel was a crime
As gray as a badger and years past my life's prime
Though we all become victims of old Father time.

I now live far south of my old Homeland shore
Ten thousand miles having said that maybe more
From where I grew to love Nature as a young Schoolboy
A walk in the old fields I used to enjoy.

The old fields that from me are now far away
Yet in fancy I visit them every day
The old fields resplendent in their wildflowers of May
The beauty we once knew in memory stay.

Though they do still retain a place in my heart
From my friends of the past I have drifted apart
Perhaps some of them try to hide time's decay
Pride comes before a fall as some are known to say.

All I ask out of life now is to live free of stress
And enjoy just a little share of happiness
And of cares and worries feel reasonably free
This is what success does mean to one such as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment