Monday, August 26, 2013

I Hail From Claraghatlea

I hail from Claraghatlea west of Millstreet Town
There i spent my best years when my hair was dark brown
No use at Gaelic Football though i played that game
In a place where to be good at sports is your ticket to fame.

Though back then in Millstreet Parish to many well known
Nowadays i may not be seen there as one of their own
From the Town by old Clara I've been too long away
And there i might well be a stranger today.

It has been many years since i was a young man
And in old Claraghatlea where my life's journey began
Not many people nowadays there i would know
Apart from what was as we age we do grow.

Long years of absence weakens old friendships would you not agree
And there now my friends of the past may seem strangers to me
Yet a walk in the old fields i still would enjoy
Where with Pudsy i often hunted as a boy.

And though i may never see the old Town-land again
A Claraghatlea fellow at heart i remain
And on my flights of fancy the dipper does sing
In a far away stream on an evening in Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment