Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Claraghatlea Fellow

I may die as i live quite close to poverty
And a Claraghatlea fellow is all i can be
And though i may live far from where Cails waters flow
I often recall places i used to know.

Old Townlands far north of this Southern Shore
Inchaleigh, Coomlogane, Annagloor, Claramore,
Coolikerane,Shannaknock, Ballydaly from here far away
In fancy i visit them often if not every day.

Without any success of which i could name
To be a Claraghatlea fellow my one claim to fame
It has been awhile now since my hair was dark brown
When i was a young man near old Millstreet Town.

It still flows on downland the old mountain rill
Through John D Murphy's fields in view of Clara Hill
And the song of the dipper i fancy i hear
The past though long gone to my thoughts ever near.

Few would even know me now in Millstreet Town
On the old streets that i often walked up and down
The years have left me looking balder and gray
And i would feel a stranger in Millstreet today.

Yet in fancy I'm back in the old fields again
And i hear the birds sing in the drizzling rain
In early Spring when wildflowers bloom and grass commence to grow
And the milder winds from the mountains do blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment