Monday, November 28, 2011

Lines On Meeting Mick And Patricia O Connor

Just spent two hours or there so with them Mick O Connor and the wife
But I quickly grew to know them and it seemed that I'd known them all my life
We had a few quiet drinks together in Adelaide's Flagsaff Hotel
And I did enjoy our meeting as my memory serves me well.

He is far distant from Ireland from Cork and Ballinagree
But he's happy in Australia very happy and carefree
Left his homeplace back in Ireland in nineteen forty three
And went from England to Australia where he raised his family.

He may lack the height in inches but he stand a man apart
And he is a humorous fellow and he's got a great big heart
And he's worked hard for his living and to look at him you'd say
There's one fellow who has worked hard nothing easy came his way.

He has returned to green Ireland he has returned to there before
But he says he'll not be going back to that country never more
Says he's seen enough of Ireland and he'll not be going back
To the valleys beyond Mushera way beyond the beaten track.

And he said to me mate don't return to there never go back there again
For if you do you'll end a cripple with hooped back and walking cane
Stay away from bog and water and the land of het and stone
For back there 'tis always raining and the wind chill to the bone.

But his wife Pat a true Aussie with her man could not agree
She said I too have been to Ireland 'tis a beautiful country
But Mick he just stayed silent merely lowered and shook his head
As if to say lady I know better for 'tis there I've been raised and bred.

I left them in Adelaide as they boarded on a bus
Mick O Connor and his wife Pat he was one time one of us
But now he's a true Aussie and he'll live his final day
Many miles from Mushera mountain and those valleys far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment