Friday, May 24, 2013

Far North In Duhallow

Far north in Duhallow near the Town of Millstreet
In the flat and rushy old fields where the Cails and Finnow meet
And flows on to the Blackwater that flows to the ocean shore
A journey through north east of Cork County of sixty miles
or more
In the coolness of late September the leaves are turning brown
And the birds are no longer singing in the groves near Millstreet Town
And though the weather cool and unsettled the hills are clear of snow
And from the Boggeragh mountains the winds of rain do blow
My walks in those old rushy fields I always did enjoy
And my love of Nature blossomed there when I was a young boy
In my flights of fancy I see the hawthorns in their white blooms of the May
And I hear the songbirds singing in the dawning of the day
And the swallows chasing flying insects are chirping as they fly
Above the fields of Claraghatlea across the cloudy sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment