Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Must Go Back

Someday soon I must go back
To my home by Millstreet railway track
To those places far away
Shannaknuck and green Liscreagh.

Oh for Coolikerane cross
My heart feels at a loss
And I can't forget the bog
Where I roamed with Jack the dog.

To walk the wood by Clara hill
Listening to the songbirds trill
And to watch the swallows soar
O'er the fields of Claramore.

And to feel so much at ease
In Mountleader where the trees
Seem to kiss the clear blue sky
On a fine day in July.

To lay by Kippagh lake
Half asleep and half awake
Listening to a skylark sing
High above you on the wing.

To walk down Millstreet's West End
And there meet an erstwhile friend
Who would clasp and shake your hand
Oh the feeling would be grand.

Here am I a wanderlust
In a city of mistrust
Sweating for my living crust
Amidst the choking grime and dust.

I am tired of this big town
These big buildings get me down
Different coloured peoples white, black and brown
All seeking their own renown.

If I only had the cash
To the airport I would dash
And I never more would stray
From Millstreet far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment