Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I See My Reflection In Other Faces

On every street i see unsmiling faces
The coldness of urban humanity
And when i notice the indifference in others
My own reflection i can only see.

I am a stranger in urban surroundings
Amongst the throng one more unsmiling face
The day is warm and the sun is brightly shining
But i've seen more happiness in a colder place.

I see my reflection in other faces
And i dislike in them what i dislike in me
They pass me by as if i were invisible
How strange and cold some others seem to be.

The lorikeets are chirping in the sunshine
And noisy miners pipe on bush and tree
And the air made cooler by the freshening breezes.
That blow up through suburbia from the sea.

And yet despite the warm and balmy weather
A coldness in the people i can see
But i'm only looking at my own reflection
And i dislike in others what i dislike in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment